Recent Post

Searching...
October 8, 2013

Entrance Essay Sample for Nursing

Entrance Essay
Education provides a ladder to climb toward a greater share of society’s rewards. It is increasingly the determining factor in success or failure in the emerging global, post-industrial economy. The educational attainment holds a central place in the status attainment process. The benefits of university graduation “have increased to levels that make it an extraordinarily attractive investment.”
I have been working as a nurse for last two years and my academic/professional credentials are substantial enough to secure me an admission in this university. I want to become a PHCHP nurse practitioner since I believe being a nurse, my primary aim is to ensure compassionate, safe, and ethical care to the suffering patients. I believe securing a master’s degree as nurse practitioner will benefit me a lot in my professional career in the long run.
 I find it my responsibility to respect and inform my patients. I understand the value of dignity in this professional and will never do anything that defies my or patient’s dignity. It is my duty to understand the importance of privacy and confidentiality thereby safeguarding personal, familial and any other valuable information in professional relationship.
Professional and Personal Attributes
I try to contribute my little part to the public good by upholding principles of justice, equality, and fairness. I do not allow my personal grievances, if any, to affect the treatment of my patient. I ensure that my personal biasness do not come in the way during the treatment of the patient. I am answerable to higher authorities for my actions and practice. Nursing is my passion. My compassion for humanity has motivated me to adopt nursing as my profession. The belief that I can help suffering human being recover from serious illness and at times from death through proper treatment always keeps me on the go. I believe I am a nurse because I want to serve the humanity irrespective of religion, creed, color, or country. 
      It is incumbent on a nurse to strictly follow the oath she takes after embarking on the nursing profession. The nurse should recommend or give a deadly drug to a patient even if he has asked for it. A woman patient should be given an abortive remedy for any kind of treatment. The oath reads.
    Though nursing and personal work ethics of a nurse are inextricable as the individual’s personal, moral, social and religious values do contribute to the overall performance and job of a nurse yet professional nursing is based on the idea of fulfilling a role rather than taking individual initiatives. Their behavior is ascertained by the established rules that govern their role. 
     Nurses may also find themselves in ethical dilemma due to ethical conflict. Simply defined, such a conflict arises due to the conflict between one’s ethical beliefs and professional ethics but is further aggravated due to split and conflicting loyalties and negative image of ethics and professional duties. This conflict should be a cause for concern because it may jeopardize quality care of patients and public health. Such a conflict arises usually due to the differences between old and modern ideas of nursing, the notions of perceived weakness of women and the strength of nursing profession on the whole. Moreover, the discrepancies between the objectives of the health- care organizations and the goals of nursing profession will also result in the same.
The necessary moral virtues that a nurse must possess are generosity, compassion, good temper, fairness, commitment, communication skills, modesty and prudence. She should be practical in her approach to deal with different kinds of patients. She must show sensitivity to the pain and sufferings of others and be able empathize with the patients. More importantly a nurse should be able to draw a line between certain nursing and personal ethics.
Understanding of Primary Health Care
Over the years, certain changes have taken place in the field of health service. Now the countries seem more proactive to embark on relevant and flexible health care services. The basic understanding that every nursing practitioner must possess is that the relationship between primary health care and nursing practice is a complex and diverse one. Nursing practitioner must always look for innovative and creative opportunities in constructing a primary health care system. Primary health care should be accessible across a full range of care services and able to meet all the major challenges in both the primary and secondary sector.
The projected growth in primary care activity over the next decade implies that much of the work traditionally carried out by general practitioners will need to be delegated to properly trained personnel. This includes illnesses that can be treated without recourse to medical advice; minor self limiting illnesses which require no specific treatment. It is anticipated that nurses working in the primary care sector will increasingly carry their own caseload for specific procedures,  screen and filter patients,  provide telephone advice to patients and relatives,  monitor and care for patients with chronic illness (hypertension, asthma,diabetes etc.)
There is a clear suggestion that there is much that could be done to manage some current general practitioner workloads better through initiatives such as nurse practitioners in primary care and patient triage at the first point of contact. Under a triage service those patients for whom a visit to the doctor is not indicated by symptoms are advised by the practice nurse working to protocols on the best form of self care.

My Strategies as Nursing Practitioner
In the course of practice, several problems will naturally crop up and in order to deal with them, the sound strategies must be in place. First let us analyze the potential problems and complexities that may arise during the practice. In the first place, it is necessary to understand that the negative portrayal of politicians and the political process deters many nurses from becoming involved in supporting the political goals of the nursing profession. Political cartoons, news stories, and editorials that cast politicians in a negative light appear daily in newspapers throughout the United States.
            Given the fact that perceived notions of nursing and pre-disposed attitude of patients towards them compels the nurses to shoulder bigger responsibility. The inability to cope with all such problems may deepen the problems for a nurse. At this point, it becomes necessary for a nurse to come up with well-grounded strategies to deal with such problems. The image of nobility and goodness is always attributed to the profession of nursing therefore nurses should not allow themselves to be negatively affected by these complexities of the profession.
      For nurses, the individual (patient) is always more valuable than society as a whole. If nurses side with larger political or social groups at the expanse of individuals then political-ethical conflict is most likely to take place in such situation.
    Nursing ethics itself provides a philosophical inquiry into the dynamics of its practice.  All in all, nursing being the most noble and respected profession is not without its complexities. The personal philosophy of life, moral and social values and experiences of a nurse do contribute to the making of personal ethics---necessary in the practice of this profession too.
At the point, the most appropriate strategy is to appreciate the work ethics of others as it may generate a very useful and valuable resource for their patients. Let us take an example of a nurse who is caring a patient suffering from the middle stage of cancer. The patient begins to form a sort of emotional dependence on the nurse and wants the same nurse to look after him until recovery.
 The patient’s family is also under the impression that the presence of that particular nurse may help him recover faster. Such kind of instances may create problems for the nurse amid treatment of that patient. What is the nurse supposed to do in such situation? Some nurses would impulsively refuse to look after such a patient but the nurse with intact personal work ethics would definitely consult the Ethics committee of the hospital and take the family of the patient into confidence to decide the future course of action.
She is never expected to deny treatment to a patient whom she may dislike due to the patient’s lifestyle. For example, AIDS patients should be looked after with equal respect, dignity, and sensitivity no matter how repulsive the nurse finds it. Nursing is not about giving care selectively to patients you approve of and refusing care to other you see as less deserving.  
Keeping in mind that the course requires at least 15 hours of preparation in addition to course and clinical placement, it may turn out to be quite problematic especially amid the absence of proper time management techniques. In order to fully make the most of this program, I will put into practice effective time management techniques. One of my favorite and most effective technique is time budgeting. Budgeting where cash in your wallet goes is a great way to ensure you spend your money where your priorities are – and budgeting my time similarly ensure I spend my time appropriately on my priorities.

Must-Do versus Like-To-Do
One of the distinctions I make when I create a budget is what I must do versus what I like to do.  There are certain things that for me are simply non-negotiable in my current lifestyle.  The must do items aren’t necessarily difficult, they can be enjoyable – but it’s where I draw the line.  Examples include sleeping, amount of time spent at work, and a minimum amount of time spent with friends and family.
So, the first step for me in my budget? Determine my must dos.  I break this up into a few steps.
Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly Budgets
I like to do my budgeting in terms of Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly activities.  For monthly and yearly, I don’t necessarily schedule all my items  in advance, but I like to budget in time every week so that as these things come up (for example, annual health check ups) they do not throw off my schedule.  I then determine how many hours I have available on a weekly basis, to allow some flexibility.
Also, I like to estimate high.  This gives me a buffer, because I know sometimes things will take more or less time, and it’s always easy to fill the time with “Someday” projects and leisure activities if it’s there – but far worse is overcommitting and not being able to fit in everything I have scheduled, and then need to make the decision to drop something much closer to the commitment.



Conclusion
I sincerely hope that the program will help me in polishing my skills and potentials in the field of practical nursing for acquiring the achievement and success requisite to be at the forefront of the dynamically changing field of nursing.













References
Boyd, M. Kenneth, (2000) “Nursing Ethics” Elsevier Health Sciences, p.385
Johnston, F,George(2003) “Abortion from the Religious and Moral Perspective” Greenwood Publishing Group, p.247




0 comments:

Post a Comment