Motivational Theories Research Paper

We, human beings are all social animals. We learn different sorts of behaviours in connection to our surrounding environment. All these behaviours are acquired as a result of some personal or collective experience of the surrounding or due to some psychological or physiological needs of an individual. Motivation drives a us towards a certain goal. Motivation is basically a psychological, biological, social or cognitive force that moves and directs our behaviour towards a particular goal or aim. There are different theories of motivation which provides a framework for the behaviours we acquire or aim to achieve as a result of an interaction with our surrounding environment.
I also had such experiences in life which shaped up by behaviour patterns and given me the motivation to work for self efficacy and improvement. My mother got married at a very young age. Being the her only daughter she saw her image in me. She wants me to achieve all that in life which she was unable to accomplish. She wanted me to achieve a good position in life academically and professionally. This dream of her’s and my own, motivated me to work hard towards achieving the goal of academic and professional  excellence.
I shall relate this self motivation with the following three theories of motivation. First one is Deci and Ryan’s (1985) theory of Self-Determination Theory. According to it, there are two types of motivation; intrinsic for the personal interests and extrinsic for gaining some particular goal. The intrinsic motivation depends upon the fulfilment of the psychological needs of competence, autonomy and relatedness. So in light of this theory, I shall relate my behaviour to the extrinsic motivational factors that guided my behaviour towards achievement. The second theory which I shall relate my behaviour to is the Herzberg’s  two factor theory. According to this theory, there are motivator and hygiene factors such as achievement, recognition, responsibility, growth etc. which motivates the behaviour of an individual. So in the context of this theory my behaviour of achievement was motivated by the factors that are governed by the motivator and the hygiene factors. The third theory with which I shall identify my behaviour is an incentive theory. This theory suggests that individuals are motivated to achieve something in life because of the external rewards. The concepts of association and reinforcement behavioural learning play an important part in the incentive theory of motivation. I want to gain  a well-reputed and good position in my life in the professional field which means that I want to gain external rewards for my efforts.
The application of these theories to my behaviour means that I am motivated to work towards the goals that I have set for myself. These theories help me and provides me a hope that if I shall be motivated and passionate about achieving something in life, I shall ultimately achieve my aim.
The theories of motivation provides a theoretical background to what I want to achieve in my personal as well as professional life. If I attempt to apply these theories in my life, it will help me to achieve my goals further and will keep on motivating me further in the future life as well. the application of these theories will lead me towards achieving psychological and physical rewards.This will in turn help me to boost my confidence and move towards self-actualization as referred to by Maslow in his Hierarchy of needs theory.
Works cited

Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. New York: Plenum, 1985.

Zimbardo,P.G., Johnson,R.L. & Weber, A.L. Psychology: Core Concepts, Discovering Psychology, 5th Edition. Pearson Education, 2010.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment